Mar 29, 2018
Top Kagglers gently introduce one to Data Science Competitions. One will have a great chance to learn various tips and tricks and apply them in practice throughout the course. Highly recommended!
Nov 10, 2017
This course is fantastic. It's chock full of practical information that is presented clearly and concisely. I would like to thank the team for sharing their knowledge so generously.
By Kostyantyn B•
Aug 10, 2018
I am very conflicted about this series, as well as this particular course (How to win a Data Science Competition). Let me try to summarize it.
- This is not an introductory level course. You have a chance to learn some advanced techniques of the state-of-the-art Data Science. There are not that many advanced DS/ML courses available so I was very excited when I found this one.
- You get your foot in the door of the Competitive Data Science, something you may not have courage to do on your own (it was certainly the case with me).
Cons... Where do I begin?...
- The courses of this series have been available for quite some time now. Yet the learning materials still feel very raw: I can live with occasional typos but I have seen some mistakes that I found unacceptable. Including things like wrong math formulas, improperly set up Docker environment, and incorrect "correct" answers (one can actually get the credit for the last question in the Programming Assignment 1 only if a wrong answer is submitted! This has been pointed out on the Forum months before I took it, yet here we are).
- The course content is somewhat strange. It is a mix of an introductory-level material and some pretty advanced tricks. Of course, it is the latter that is most appealing to many students like myself. But the problem is, too many of these topics are covered in a very superficial way providing very little substance. I remember getting all excited when the instructors would start talking about the Kaggle competitions they personally participated in... only to be left disappointed with how little I learned from their experience. I am not finished with the course but this has already happened more than once...
- Finally, with all due respect, the instructors are not what you might call outstanding educators. I realize that not everybody can be like say, Andrew Ng and you certainly get to see a broad spectrum of the teaching skills among the instructors at Coursera. Still, in my opinion some (in fact, most) instructors that participated in creating this series have a long way to go...
I don't mean to be harsh. I certainly appreciate what they are trying to achieve here and it is a noble goal. But the execution is flawed and I felt that I had to say something. I know that they can do better (they are without a doubt, a talented bunch of people) and I really hope they can learn from their mistakes.
By Steffen R•
Oct 16, 2018
extremely bad supported.
Aug 05, 2018
Assignments are terribly written. Quizzes don't make sense at times.
By Nicholas C•
Mar 10, 2018
Should have been labeled "How to Cheat a Data Science competition". An entire week is dedicated to Data Leakage and how to exploit it rather than in the spirit of the competition how to create a model that actually solves the problem.
Mar 04, 2018
Questions are unclear, authors clearly do not understand what they're asking
By Caio A A O•
Nov 20, 2017
Some cool tips on the first week, but then on the second one we have a whole section about how to exploit data leaks on competitions, and that's worth 12% of the final grade. This sucks... If it wasn't part of the advanced machine learning specialization, I wouldn't care, but it is. This plus a peer-graded assignment with really broad criteria really got me thinking about whether it's worth doing it for a verified certificate.
By Aman S•
Jun 03, 2019
Teaching style is not engaging at all. I am very confused
By Fabrice L•
Apr 11, 2019
A looooot of content!!!
I like the fact that it talk about broad data science topics, and doesn't specialize into one specific domain. You gain some good tricks about pandas, EDA, modeling, feature engineering... etc The skill coverage is very wide.
This is definitely advance, and challenging soemtimes, but you'll learn a lot.
By Stephane H•
Apr 10, 2019
Great course, truly invaluable information in there, also the hardest i've ever done, took me months and a couple hundred hours. The knowledge and experience you gain is incredible, not for the faint of heart though.
By Xiukun H•
Feb 25, 2019
Great course to learn practical skills. I love the painful final project.
Feb 16, 2019
By Yu Q•
Dec 05, 2018
I competed this course within almost 3 months, far more time than I planed. The most time I spent on was to create new features via feature engineering and verify the cross-validation method. This course was difficult, but very helpful and inspirational. Thanks to each teacher and tutor!
Oct 29, 2018
Oct 17, 2018
This is the first course I've finished on coursera. At the beginning, the motivation of taking this course is only to get an better score in Kaggle competition because I major in statistics and am interested in data science. But during the processing of learning, I found many important ideas and experience to deal with the real problem and enjoyed the communication with other people from forum and Kaggle, I also aquired some special experience such as peer review, which is not only very fun but also can provide me different aspects to see the problem I'm dealing with again. Thanks Dmitry Ulyanov, Alexander Guschin, Mikhail Trofimov, Dmitry Altukhov, and Marios Michailidis for sharing your important knowledge and experience with us.
By Carlos V•
Sep 30, 2018
This course is unique, highly recommended to anyone that wants to push their skill with machine learning, the assignments are excellent and super challenging, after completing the final assignment my understanding how to improve an ml model was better, pushing you to understand how to build a machine learning model to be competitive in Kaggle.
All the techniques explained also can help you to create better ml models in general.
Thanks very much to all professors for putting together this fantastic course.
Looking forward to a more advanced version in the future.
By Голубев К О•
Sep 27, 2018
Great course with excellent tutors. 1C Predict Price Competiton - the best InClass Kaggle competition in which I took part.
But, IMHO, there's not enough practice. For example: it's very useful to exercise on different validation strategies or on stacking of something more, than 2 simple models. Also there's a mistakes in KNN notebook and unclear instrustions.
By Mithun G•
Jan 14, 2018
Content is really good. But delivery is at times incomprehensible. Assignments questions are also not very clear
By Mukesh R•
Jul 15, 2019
A very well made course and it has lots of useful information related to field of data science. Thank you for making it available to us.
Jul 07, 2019
Great compilation of all tools of trade
By Pavel S•
Jun 22, 2019
bad practice tasks, it's unreal to solve without excellent Mathematics background, to understand the variables in the code must to waste a lot of time, no instructions etc ... i can understand maybe teachers wanted to do the same atmosphere like in competition but for what i'll Pay money ???? i Pay money for teaching not for guessing what to do , first week is cool, others are shit, and remove the lector in glassses
By S V•
Jun 11, 2019
Strongly recommended. The course did not seem appealing at first, but it was challenging and I learned a lot.
By Frédéric G•
Jun 11, 2019
Great ! I learned a lot with this course and a lot of things will be useful for my daily business
By ashesh g m•
Jun 10, 2019
It was one of the best courses which I've done on coursera. Here, it was all practical and essential knowledge which was taught. Mentors were amazing and inspiring. A must do for any data scientist or aspiring data scientist.
By Maksym M•
May 25, 2019
I like this course. Improve practical skills.
By David A•
May 25, 2019
Learned a lot from this course. I highly recommend it.